Free Pattern to Crochet a Set of "Cheeseburger" Potholders for Summertime Grilling, Fall Football Tailgating, or Anytime!
Dress up your kitchen or store in your camper for all your summertime cooking with these fool-the-eye pot holders! Put on your kitchen shelf next to your stove for a conversation piece all year round. Easy to crochet with these simple directions.
*All photographs of crocheted cheeseburger potholders on this page are the property of (c) Wednesday Elf.
Cheeseburger Potholders in Crochet
- A Novelty Item that is also Practical and Useful
|Set of Five Novelty Potholders|
An easy pattern to crochet-for-the-kitchen (or patio). Each potholder is crocheted double-thick for extra protection. I used acrylic yarn for it's ease of handling and the fact that it is easily machine washable & dryable, but cotton yarn can also be used. This particular set I call a 'Cheeseburger' potholder can be varied with less or more pieces (leave off the cheese potholder and you have a 'hamburger' or add a green round potholder for 'lettuce'). The set shown here consists of five pieces -- top and bottom buns, hamburger, cheese slice and tomato slice. All potholders except the cheese slice are done in single crochet in the round and are quite simple to do, so it becomes a good 'take-along' project for busy crafters.
*Each potholder begins with a Basic Round listed below, with variations for individual pieces described later down the page.
- Worsted-weight (4-ply) yarn: about 1-1/2 oz. beige or tan, 1 oz each of white, brown, yellow, orange and red.
- G/6 Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
Crochet Abbreviations Used in this Pattern
ch = chain
sc = single crochet
Rnd - round
sts - stitches
NOTE: Bun top and bottom potholders, and Hamburger potholder are each made from this Basic Round. Make in brown for hamburger, in tan and white for bun.
- Rnd 1: ch 2, 6 sc in second ch from hook (6) [Do not join rounds]
- Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (12)
- Rnd 3: (sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (18)
- Rnd 4: (sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (24)
- Rnd 5: (sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (30)
- Rnd 6: (sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (36)
- Rnd 7: (sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (42)
- Rnd 8: (sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around (48)
- Rnd 9: (sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (54)
- Rnd 10: (sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (60)
- Rnd 11: (sc in next 9 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (66)
- Rnd 12: (sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in next sc) around. (72)
Cheeseburger Potholder Bun Top and Bottom
Hamburger Bun Top with Seeds
- Rnds 1-12: With tan or beige, make Basic Round through Rnd 12.
- Rnds 13-15: Sc in each sc, fasten off yarn at end of Rnd 15.
Scatter seeds over top of bun by making 25 to 30 short stitches at random with white yarn and tapestry needle.
*White yarn is used for the inside of the hamburger bun and for the 'seeds' on the top bun.
View of the Inside of Top & Bottom Buns
|Inside top and bottom bun|
Crochet Inside Piece in White for Top and Bottom Bun Potholders
Make Basic Round in white, cut and fasten off at end of Rnd 12.
With tan yarn, sew inside of bun to bun top.
Cheeseburger Potholder Bun Bottom
|Cheeseburger Bun Bottom|
Bun Bottom Potholder
With tan yarn, repeat Bun Top through Rnd 14.
Repeat Inside of Bun Top with white.
Sew two pieces together with tan yarn.
|Red Heart with Love Yarn|
Tan yarn is needed for both top and bottom buns.
Hamburger Potholder - If you prefer, you can make this into a 'Veggie' burger! :)
Hamburger Potholder Instructions (Make 2)
- Rnds 1-12: With brown yarn, make Basic Round through Rnd 12.
- Rnd 13: Sc in each sc around, fasten off.
Make a second piece through Rnd 12, fasten off.
Sew two sides together with right sides facing, wrong sides out.
Red Heart Soft Yarn in Chocolate.
Dark brown yarn, like this chocolate one, is used for the hamburger patty.
Cheese Slice Potholder
|Cheese Slice Potholder|
Cheese Slice Potholder is a Square!
The cheese slice is worked around the starting chain, making the front and back at the same time, then closing the top with a row of single crochet.
NOTE: Since rounds have a tendency to veer to the right (or left, if you crochet left-handed like me), stop every few rounds and pull work to the left (right) until stitches seem to be straight up and down.
- Rnd 1: With Yellow, ch 24, sc in 3rd chain from hook (turning chain counts as 1 sc), sc in next 20 ch, 3 sc in end ch, turn, working back side of chain, sc in next 21 ch, mark end of Rnd. (46 sc).
- Rnds 2-24 (or until piece is square): Sc in each sc around.
- Rnd 25: Holding both sides together, sc across top to close, fasten off.
|Available on Amazon|
Bright Yellow Red Heart Super Saver Economy Yarn
Different Yellows for Different Cheeses...
Use a bright yellow yarn for your standard American cheese slice. If you want to get fancy, use a light yellow yarn for a different kind of cheese. In crochet, you can create anything you can imagine. :)
Tomato Slice Potholder
|Tomato Slice Potholder|
The seed effect of the tomato slice is made by bringing the hook through from the wrong side and working sc (reverse sts) with 2 regular sc separating each seed section. Each round is increased 6 sc as in the Basic Round, with increases always worked in the reverse sts (seed section) after Rnd 3 is completed.
Tomato Slice Potholder Instructions with Seed Stitch
- Rnd 1: With Red, ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook, do not join rnds.
- Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around.
- Rnd 3: *2 sc in next st, reverse sc in next st, repeat from * around (start of seed pattern).
- Rnd 4: *Sc in next 2 sc, 2 reverse sc in reverse sc, repeat from * around.
- Rnds 5-10: From here on, sc in each sc, reverse sc in each reverse sc, increasing 1 reverse sc in each seed section, or 6 increases per round (60 sts at end of Rnd 10).
- Rnds 11 & 12: Sc in each st., increase 6 sts each rnd.
- Rnd 13: Working back loop only, sc in each sc around, cut yarn and fasten off.
To finish: Make two pieces and sew together through both loops of Rnd 13 on first piece and through back loop of Rnd 12 on second piece
MY PERSONAL NOTE: If you want to keep this pattern simple throughout and don't want to fuss with learning a new technique, just crochet the tomato slice in the Basic Round through Rnd 12.
|Red Heart Soft Yarn, Really Red|
Red Heart Soft Yarn, Really Red
Red yarn is used for the tomato slice potholder.
Stack hamburger, cheese and tomato slice between two bun halves
|Cheeseburger Potholder Set of Five|
Crocheted Cheeseburger Potholders - Set of 5. Or -- a 'calorie-free' Cheeseburger :)
A 'Made for You' Set!
If you don't crochet, or don't have time to make your own set of Cheeseburger Potholders, a ready-made set handmade by me can be purchased through my Etsy Shop, Coastal Crochet Crafts.
This set of Cheeseburger Design Potholders would fit in perfectly when grilling your cheeseburgers on this... and 'any' day!
Novelty Potholders Make Fun Conversation Starters. Fill Your Crafting with some Fun.
*Tutorial originally published on 6/2/2012 on another site