Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Handmade Groundhogs Celebrate Groundhog Day!



Groundhog
Groundhog Day began in 1887 when Clymer H. Freas, editor of the local paper Punxsutawney Spirit at that time, began promoting the town’s groundhog as the official "Groundhog Day meteorologist".  


We all know that the largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania with the famous groundhog Punxsutawney Phil, and has gained even more popularity in the years since the 1993 film Groundhog Day.


To celebrate Groundhog Day, which is the mid-point between the winter solstice and spring equinox, some of my Etsy friends and fellow crafters have come up with interesting Groundhog-related creations.

Groundhog Hat



Embroidered Groundhog Hat by PriceApparel on Etsy

Price Apparel, an Etsy Shop located in New Hampshire, has a wide selection of hats and other apparel embroidered with wildlife designs.  This Groundhog/Woodchuck hat (available in a variety of colors) is perfect for Groundhog Day! 



A Groundhog is also known as a Woodchuck, from the word Wuchak, the Algonquin word for Woodchuck.  We are all familiar with the tongue-twister  “How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.”


Waldorf Toy Wooden Prairie Dog


Wooden Prairie Dog Natural Waldorf Toy
Wooden Prairie Dog Waldorf Toy
Similar to a groundhog is the Prairie Dog natural Waldorf Toy created by Imagination Kids on Etsy.

This cute little wooden replica comes in a set with one prairie dog that is standing up and a dome crater for him to stand in.

The prairie dog stands approximately 2 inches tall and is 3/4 of an inch wide.  The dome crater is 3/4" tall and is approximately 2.25 inches wide at the base. 


Set him by a window on a sunny day if you want six more weeks of winter.  Hoping for an early spring? Make sure he stays in the shadows!


The creator behind this Prairie Dog and the Etsy Shop "Imagination Kids" is Erin of Indianapolis.


A handmade in crochet toy groundhog
Groundhog Phil

A 10-inch tall, handmade in crochet, toy Groundhog Phil. A cute and cuddly plush toy perfect for Groundhog Day or any day of the year. Handmade by Jill of New Jersey for her Etsy Store: JillofAllTrades1969.



Happy Groundhog Day to all

 




(c) Wednesday Elf. Article originally written on 1/28/2015.  








Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”

24 comments:

  1. Great selection of groundhogs, Elf! I'm off to hide in the shade and watch a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good plan, Coletta. We certainly don't need 6 more weeks of winter this year (or any year). The sooner Spring arrives, the better!

      Delete
  2. What fun ways to celebrate Groundhogs Day! Not only do I want them for myself, but I see the groundhog soaps in my families future. Thank you for sharing all of these wonderful crafts. I always love your crochets creatures and I think it is very thoughtful of you to share other crafters creations as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many talented and creative Indie artists and crafters on Etsy who's work I admire, Mouse, so I'm always pleased when I can feature special handmade items.

      Delete
  3. Love this! I always enjoy the lore of Groundhog's Day. Very nice to see all these handmade accessories to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed these handmade groundhogs, Susan Deppner. Thanks so much for your visit.

      Delete
  4. I can't figure out what it is about Groundhog Day that makes me smile, but I think it''s the movie with Bill Murray - I usually end up watching it multiple times - enjoyed the Groundhog items you've featured here - those little soaps would make my sons giggle I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There does seem to be something about Groundhog Day that makes us smile, Barbara. Thanks for checking out the handmade groundhog goodies I featured. :)

      Delete
  5. I had almost forgotten about Groundhog Day today! I hope your prediction is correct and spring shows up early!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For you in New York, and all my Northern friends, I hope Spring comes early this year too, Carol. It's been a cold and snowy winter!

      Delete
  6. These groundhogs are so cute! I like them all. Would you believe I've never watched the movie? I know, I'm so un-cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the movie, Susan. Once is enough. Having to live groundhog day over-and-over would be a bit much. LOL.

      Delete
  7. I am back again this year and I still want those soaps! lol With the new promise of early spring, I need a little groundhog to keep me company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh how cute! Part of my childhood was spent on a farm where groundhogs were considered a nuisance. But even so... I really like seeing their heads pop up from the ground and look at me. Cute blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always loved that movie! Cute little groundhogs here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truly amazing how popular the groundhog movie became. It's almost like a cult movie now...LOL. I had a buyer purchase one of my plush groundhogs for a friend who always takes Groundhog Day off from work and stays home and watches the movie over & over all day! :)

      Delete
  10. I didn't remember it was Groundhog Day until I turned on the TV. I didn't realize so many groundhog items were available. I've never seen a real groundhog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a real groundhog either, Barbara. At least to my knowledge. :)

      Delete
  11. All the little groundhogs are so cute! The good thing about any of these groundhogs, if we don't like what Punxsutawney Phil says on a particular year, we can "influence" these groundhogs to agree with what we want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mouse. We can call it anything we want -- and the frozen north at the moment getting hit with another storm I'm sure wishes the 6 weeks more of winter ends quick!

      Delete