Monday, December 8, 2014

Hoot Owls in Crochet

*Updated on 8/4/2020

Grace, the Gray & Pink Crocheted Owl


Introducing some adorable toy crocheted hoot owls found in my Etsy Shop, Coastal Crochet Crafts and in favorite shops on Etsy.

I've crocheted a number of plush owls over the years, mostly in the natural colors of browns and grays, black and white. The Owl, pictured here, is one such creation in crochet in Gray with a touch of pink.

Of all the birds in nature, owls seem to fascinate children the most. Perhaps it's the bird's big eyes, or more possibly because of its 'Whoo, whoo Hoot' voice, but owls are popular in toys and books and many other forms.


Toy Crocheted Hoot Owls in Color


Recently I was asked to make a group of three plush owls for a new mom who was decorating her baby's nursery in an Owl Theme. She asked for this set of owls in pinks, greens and blues.



Those colorful owls turned out so cute that I got to thinking about all the colors in the rainbow. I suddenly realized I didn't have to stay with nature's colors for my handmade plush toy owls because plush animals are part of a child's imaginative play and can be any color you choose. So, I'd like you to meet more owls in playtime colors.


From DrewbiesZoo on Etsy comes this cute purple & lavender owl.

Have a hoot with your own cuddly stuffed owl. She sits at 8" (20.3cm) tall, 5.5" (14cm) wide, and 5" (12.7cm) thick. Made by hand with 100% Acrylic yarn, polyester FiberFil and felt eyes attached with cotton embroidery floss.

She's a perfect companion for young children, she's soft, cuddly, hypo-allergenic and washable.


Grace the Gray & Pink Owl

Grace is a toy owl in shades of gray and pink. Grace has a dark gray head, wings and feet. Her body is a gray/pink ombre combination. Her beak is gold and eyes are crocheted in two parts - light gray and pink - and are fastened to the head with black plastic safety eyes. Grace stands 8 inches tall and is about 5 inches wide.

Grace would love to become a playmate to a child. She misses Ollie and Petunia in my group of crocheted Amigurumi toy owls but more owls will soon be keeping her company in my Etsy Shop Coastal Crochet Crafts


Children's Hoot Owl Reading


Now, if you'll excuse me, Grace and her owl friends are calling me to come read them a favorite book about how an owl lost her 'hoot'.



Oola the Owl Who Lost Her Hoot!



Festival of Owls

First Weekend in March 
March 2-4, 2018


International Owl Awareness DayAugust 4



(c) Wednesday Elf (12/8/2014)







Note: The author may receive a commission from purchases made using links found in this article. “As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”

10 comments:

  1. Oh, and they are all so very adorable! I know you mentioned children, but both my husband and our daughter collect owls. I just know they would love Ollie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Besides a cute stuffed animal for a child, owl collectors would love these crocheted owls too. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn Rae. Ollie is one of my favorites.

      Delete
  4. Love all your Owl creations, but Ollie takes the cake. It was my nickname for a long time, glad it's attached to a wise personage. Very nicely done and yes, let you inner child out to play with all the colors in the rainbow. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ollie is a 'great' nickname. Ollie owl is honored to be connected to you by 'name'. :-)

      Delete
  5. We love owls too and these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, I think owls are the most popular bird there is in nature. Glad you liked my crocheted versions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat your stuff is so adorable. I think I need to feature it on one of my sites. :) I wish I had someone to buy it for.

    ReplyDelete