Friday, November 28, 2014

Crocheted Penelope the Piglet and Friend



Penelope Piglet is a Handmade 'Barnyard Buddy'

 

Penelope the Crocheted Piglet
Come meet a favorite farm animal who goes by the name of Penelope. She's a pink piglet in crochet and believes she is very stylish in her light pink coat with dark pink ears, nose and curly tail. 

She is hand-crocheted in the Amigurumi-style and filled with a soft polyfil, making her extremely cuddly and squeezable. Once you see her, you can't resist holding her. And at a roly-poly and round 5 x 5 inches, she's just the right size for little hands to hold.

Penelope the Piglet is one of the animals in my Barnyard Buddies series of stuffies I feature in my Etsy Shop - Coastal Crochet and Crafts

Farm kids are very familiar with barnyard animals, but city kids seldom get to see them in real life. Having a stuffed animal to play with lets them learn about how these animals look and gives them an actual animal to hold to help them relate to stories being read to them about the animals on the farm.


Penelope is a plush Amigurumi Pig
I love creating Barnyard Buddies as part of my group of plush toy animals. I got the idea for this plush piglet from a pattern on the Lion Brand (yarns) website for an Amigurumi Pig.  I added my own details and named my creation Penelope. I give names to all my 'critters' because by the time I've finished crocheting, the animal and I have become friends.  


Penelope the crocheted piglet is a fan of some famous pigs we all know and love. 



  • Porky Pig from Looney Tunes ("Th-th-th-that's all folks!")
  • Miss Piggy from “The Muppets”
  • Wilbur from Penelope's favorite storybook Charlotte’s Web
  • Piglet, famous sidekick to Winnie-the-Pooh
  • All the Piggies from the Angry Birds Piggy Island
 

Pigs even have a special day 

March 1 is National Pig Day.




Penelope Piglet's Friend

 

Black Pig in Crochet
We usually think of pigs as being pink in color, but there is a black pig called the Black Iberian pig, native to the Iberian Peninsula of Portugal and Spain. An online friend knows someone who used to have a black pig and when she saw Penelope featured online she contacted me and asked me to make her friend a crocheted pig in black.  This sweet little black (and gray) pig is the result and Penelope was delighted to meet him.



Penelope Piglet and her Friend, the Black Iberian Pig


For more details about Penelope the Piglet, come visit her page on Etsy. If you want a black pig (or a piglet in ANY color), visit my Etsy Shop and send me a request. As Penelope knows, I enjoy crocheting cute pigs.


(c) Wednesday Elf. Article written on 11/28/2014.  Updated on 2/24/2017.



8 comments:

  1. Penelope is adorable and the perfect farm animal pet for city kids and adults. I know from experience that your crochet animals are masterfully crafted and crocheted. I have no doubt Penelope is just as beautiful in person as she is on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Mouse. Penelope is blushing over the sweet compliment, but you can't tell because her face is already Pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I t looks great. Your site is fantastic so far and I can see how much you have learnt. It's fantastic, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Penelope and her friend are both adorable! Happy #NationalPigDay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. The black pig was a special request for her friend from an online friend of mine you probably know too from Squidoo days - Kathy McGraw.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Elf! What a cute black pig to join the collection of beautiful crocheted animals. He is simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mouse. He was a special request and fun to create.

      Delete